Q and A: Organization!
Its not the sexiest subject, but organization boosts productivity when it comes to jewelry making.
Every once in awhile, I’m actually organized (above photos are from my studio.) I’m not an expert, but here are some things I’ve found that help:
1) Cabinets and shelves are your friend. You can never have too many.
Being able to put things away and close a door when you’re done helps you feel accomplished, and takes away that nagging feeling that there’s always something left to do.
2) Cheap plastic drawers (white ones on the top right.) Get ‘em from Target, as many sizes as you think you’ll need.
3) The black drawers on the top right are hardware organizers from Fred Meyer/Kroger’s, and they’re perfect for charms and small beads. Fishing tackle boxes can also be used for bead organization in a pinch.
4) Shop garage sales for items to re-purpose. The cabinet above is a microwave cart I bought used for $20. The brown drawers on the right are for sewing supplies, and I got them for $5 at a moving sale. Second hand is the way to go.
5) For finished inventory, I use these photo drawers, and label each one with the corresponding fandom.
6) Have a place for everything. Put like with like and don’t get lazy about it.
That’s it for now. What helps you stay productive?